Sunday, December 20, 2009

What I'm Up To Now...

My latest children's book project is a book I am working on for Sylvan Dell Publishing, titled "Champ's Story: Dogs Get Cancer Too".

Below you can see the cover art. Champ and Cody are best friends, so I gave them both golden red hair. I used a combination of watercolors, gouache, oil pastels and pastel pencils for the art throughout the book:


And here was my pencil sketch for the cover. I wanted to show a deep, emotional connection and love between the main characters:


And here is a mock-up for the possible finished cover design by Sylvan Dell:


The book will be out sometime in 2010. The story is designed to help children with cancer understand and deal with their illness and treatments. But I also believe it is a great story for children dealing with the illness of a pet or a sibling or friend. I really think it is a great story, and I am honored to have been chosen for the project.

8 comments:

  1. Kate this is so beautiful!!! I love the soft look of all the potpourri mediums you used, haha.. it's really wonderful! The cover is perfect, very loving indeed. What a beautiful book to work on! Congratulations :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks really nice...i'm looking forward to when it gets out! even if i AM an older person! this looks like a real heart-touching story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a lovely job of this, the dog's expression is so perfect! Congratulations on being chosen for this special job. Happy Christmas Kate!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out beautifully! I think you captured the emotions very well. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, I love this ilus!!!

    Thanks for share ever your creativity!!!

    God bless your life and give you many happiness, healthy, peace and love.

    Many hugs from Guatemala!!!

    Ale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new book! Merry Christmas and Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover looks so wonderful Kate! I can't wait to see and read this book!

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!