Friday, February 01, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake!












My daily visits to Diana Evans' blog and her "Yummy Sketch of the Day" daily food postings have brought back fond memories of the home based cake business my friend Melissa and I used to run from her kitchen. The biggest challenge was the wedding cakes because everything had to be made and decorated the night before, and of course wedding cakes call for many tiers and a flawless application of fondant or icing or both. So we are talking about many all-nighters and carefully transporting our cakes to finish decorating on-location the next morning. Our specialty was fresh floral cakes, but the characters were lots of fun, too, such as this lady bug cake with black sour ball eyes and licorice whip legs. I wish I had a better picture of this cake. I also like the way the yellow bridal shower cake turned out, since I had to make this one alone, and it was my first attempt at handling rolled fondant.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen...

    what a lovely surprise....so happy to be featured on your blog and inspire you to post these wonderful cakes....you are truly talented...I learn more and more with every visit to your wonderful blog....these are all beautiful and the lady bug is so sweet...how cute...

    I think you should make more cakes...you really are gifted...

    Thanks for the wonderful post...
    I enjoy each and every visit here...

    Cheers,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen...you inspired my sketch of the day...

    I have a chocolate strawberry cream cheese cake...

    a nice big cake to share with you...

    Cheers,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that Ladybug looks great! You are a lady of many talents indeed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Kate! You are a woman of many talents....lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're really multi-talented! So cute the lady bug cake and the yellow cake looks so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm....delicious and beautiful....too pretty to eat !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could just launch my whole face into that lady bug cake.

    And it's only breakfast time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just hit upon my most favorite alternate art form. I love those shows on Food Network about cakes. There are a few, either cake contest or that show about the cake bakery, I think they are located in NY. So now I'm jealous, although in a prior life i was a professional bagel baker. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful cakes! I know the cake biz is not easy or for the faint of heart. You really have to know what you're doing to make a cake that fantastic.

    How cool that you've embarked on so many creative endeavors in your life. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. You're gifted. These pictures have me drooling all over my desk and want me to marry Vincent just so I can have a cake like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!