Friday, July 25, 2008

Kudos!

First I want to thank Joan for awarding me back, and Tom Barrett for awarding me the Brillante Weblog Award! It means a lot to me!
I also want to say thanks to all of you who left me such nice messages and well wishes about my accident and rather rough July. You also deserve this award (created by Andi Butler):
I do have to say that I try to see the good and expect a good outcome in tough situations. I am now searching for a new car. I feel fortunate that I was not horribly hurt in the accident. And my CR-V was 10 yrs old......so now I am looking for something new and actually sort of excited about it. Hopefully I won't have to look for another one for another 10 years. : )

AND, I also found out that I can post a little about the book I am illustrating with Soundprints for the Smithsonian Institution. I will not be able to reveal much, but I am allowed to tell you that it is a book about little black ants. The illustrations will be more on the realistic side. Some of you may remember that I also do what I refer to as "soft realistic" illustrations, mostly for educational publications for middle grade children. In fact, I just recently added a section on my website for my realistic portfolio.

I will be able to post the final book cover layout once I have illustrated it, but will not be able to reveal anything else until the book is published. The book is scheduled for release in Spring 2009.

With all that has been going on in my life and with this new project underway, I have not really drawn anything new to post. I am still planning to open my online shop in the near future (I just bought the printer but have not tested it yet), and will also have some more interesting news in August. And for all of you who have been enjoying my articles for the SCBWI Prairie Wind online newsletter, I will be writing another one very soon!! I think I will write about how to survive a creative slump. We all have those, right?

10 comments:

  1. Hey Kate! Your article will be perfect since it seems I am just now coming out of a creative slump! I'm very glad to hear you are on your way to getting a new ride. :) Hmm, an alternative fuel vehicle perhaps? Congratulations on the book! It is already appealing to the biologist in me! One of my favorite illustrators of all time used to be the SR illustrator at the Smithsonian so I am very, very excited about your new project! Let's party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are beginning to turn around for the good for you and your car situation. And yes, especially grateful for the fact that you weren't injured worse, although I am praying for your full recovery. I'm sure it will take time and patience for a 100% recovery.

    Best to you on all of your fun new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can always use advice for those dreaded creative slumps, so go for it! Can't wait to see the book cover, and I was so sorry to hear about your accident! But your last post touched my heart about the puppies, poor little babies...I hate it when people say animals don't have feelings, that is just not true. Anyway I just love you for rescuing them! You are awesome, I hope you feel better really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the awards, and on the book project Kate. I can't wait to see it, and to find out what the mystery news in August will be. Your own reality show maybe? 8 )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations for your blog!! Your ilus are really beatifull!! i like it! and i link your blog.

    I`m very happy!! you`re a inspired me.

    Come back!! many hugs from Guatemala!!

    Ale

    (And excuseme for my bad english..please!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi kate,

    I am glad to hear you are on the mend but sorry that you were in an accident. As it shows, you are blessed once again with your health back and exciting artistic projects. What an exciting book project. I would certainly want a copy but how to get you to sign it? :) Take good care and we in blogland are always glad to see your pretty smiling avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kate!
    thank you for coming by and saying hello. i am so sorry to read about your accident, but grateful you were not injured worse.
    you are a strong person. your projects are so exciting!
    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of your accident and Godspeed for a full recovery. Congratulations on your new projects... Look forward to your upcoming article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS KATE!!!! A book about little ants sounds awesome. I'm so happy for you!
    You are going to do such a great work with it I'm sure!!! Yay!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new addition on your website for your "soft realistic" illustrations, they are very beautiful. Hope you are feeling better and moving on to some really, incredible sounding projects.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!