Thursday, September 27, 2007

Random Fact #6: Hold The Meat

©Kathleen Rietz
I've never been a fan of meat, hated milk even as a child, and am very happy with what Leon referred to today as my "Jesus Diet". It is the same diet my mom referred to as "Sticks & Stones". Ha ha, you people are all so very funny. Sure, I crave a plate of technicolor sushi creations from Daruma in Schaumburg, IL, at times. And Ashby's Sterling Ice Cream in Arlington Heights, IL, is the best REAL ice cream in the world. But on a daily basis, a normal dinner for me consists of what you see in the picture above: barley, steamed edamame, a splash of soy sauce and a tomato wedge. For lunch I may get on a kick where I make black bean tacos on soft corn tortillas with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and fresh salsa. Breakfast is almost always a piece of fruit, oatmeal sprinkled with some dried fruit, coconut, nuts or seeds, and, of course, a cup or 2 of tea! Apple slices smeared with natural peanut butter and a cup of tea are a favorite snack at work this week. I fill my weekly shopping cart with fresh fruits & veggies, whole grain breads and legume pastas, beans, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. The dog rarely ever fights to lick my plate.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm, make that corn tortilla a whole wheat tortilla and add some vine ripened tomatoes and lettuce and you've just described yesterday's lunch! Oh and nix the cheese (lactose intolerance, ya know). Thanks for sharing! Oh dang, now you've gone and made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....that sounds good, too! The corn tortillas have much fewer calories, and I love to eat so fewer calories is a plus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I love edamames! I just had some the other day in my salad for dinner! At our house we actually call them edible mommys. . .I know it's weird, but it all started when Rachel my daughter was small. . .

    Do you buy yours in the produce department or have you tried the frozen ones?

    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, looks good Kate! Great shot too. I think a lot of people would be surprised just how good a lot of healthy food is if they made an effort to seek it out and take some time to cook it. I know for me, when I went vegetarian, there was lots of meat that I still craved. I found a lot of products from "Turtle Island Foods" (naturally, haha) and "Quorn" make some excellent, all natural meat substitutes. As for no milk, have you tried the Silk low fat chocolate soy milk? I think I drink too much of the stuff--it's so good. Anyhow, I really like what you're doing with this meme! In the meantime, the weekend is almost here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your diet fascinates me. It looks wonderful and it seems to show in your personal glow and zest for life.
    I find less and less meat in my diet as the days go by, and at our house the fridge is fruit and veggie heavy.
    Your dish looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veg rules!

    I was surprised and excited to see this post today - I had no idea we shared a love of art and similar diets. So cool.

    Our whole family has been veg since 1993 and vegan since 2002.

    Black bean tacos sound really good right now... and I just had breakfast.

    I have to add another tablespoon of respect for you, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks everyone! I had no idea people would actually think this food looked good, nor did I know so many people also embraced this lifestyle.

    Sherry - yes, my sister and I have called them "eat a mommy". I usually end up buying them frozen for convenience.

    Steve - Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I do not really like meat in the first place, so I do not buy a lot of the meat substitutes. Some are okay..I have tried meatless taco filling, Not Dogs, seitan and chik'n nuggets. They are okay. For me, part of my goal is to avoid processed foods. So I like getting my protein from legumes better....beans, peas, dal, lentils.... Also, try Pacific Foods' Almond Milk or Hazelnut Milk. I like them better than soymilk.

    Ginger - thanks for the compliments! Here's to you - healthy eating - cheers!

    Sparky - Thanks! And congrats on putting the whole family on a healthy lifestyle. Did your wife have the baby yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder you have such a vibrancy about you! I wish I still had that discipline. Love fruits and veggies though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love black bean tacos too! My variation is black beans on a corn tortilla, a tiny bit of mozzerella, some chopped tomato, a bit of spring onion (if you are in the mood for onion), cilantro and green chiles.
    mmmm. really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!

    Especially the sushi. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!