Friday, May 30, 2008

Remembering to Remember

©Kathleen Rietz
We all look forward to summer. But as I do, I realize that another season will come and go for many whose loved one is away at war, uncertain if they will return home safely. Many veterans return home with massive burns or multiple amputations and emotional scars, and life for them and their families is never the same. Many receive little government aid and help for their injuries. I heard a report tonite that the suicide rate amongst Iraq War veterans has gone up again. It makes me sad. It all seems so senseless to me. But regardless of your opinion of the war, the men and women who return home from the war deserve our respect and recognition for doing their job. I thought about them and their families all Memorial Weekend, and even still. I was moved to sketch this illustration tonite, so that those who forget will be reminded that there are moms and dads, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters away at war. For those who are missing them, they are dealing with their own battles. Please remember to remember.
This illustration is for Roz whose hubby is serving in the military.

10 comments:

  1. A lovely sketch, and a moving post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome sketch, Kate! The little photo at the top is perfect!

    It is a sad thing that men and women have to be sent away from family for extreme lengths of time, but I am thankful that there are those who are willing to make those sacrifices in order to protect the freedoms of this country and rights of people around the world as human beings.

    My prayers go out to them each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that, Kathy, what a lovely post to go with an equally wonderful illustration.
    You're right the military suicide rate is high and surprisingly so for those that aren't even deployed overseas. Tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband is an vet from op. Iraqi Freedom. I had some scary times when the war first started. Gladly, he is done with his service for the USMC...but I am always thinking of all the others still overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got goosepumps and tears in my eyes as I'm typing this Kate.

    Beautiful illustration and beautiful and very truthful thought behind it!!!

    Amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met a woman whose husband left for the war early last year and is not due to see his newborn girl for another several months. Not only are families struggling with the uncertainty of whether a loved on will return, but they struggle every day being apart and not sharing the most precious times with family that they can never get back. I imagine that his older daughter, who is only 3 sits in her bed wondering when her daddy will come home. This drawing is especially touching Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder. I LOVE this one! So much emotion and love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen. I was thinking similar thoughts on Sunday. I took my mother and her sister around to decorate the family graves. In a society which seems to increasingly promote self centered lifestyles, it's nice to see a post like yours. Thanks Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This beautiful and heartfelt post brought tears to my eyes, Kate. I never fail to get emotional when I think of our servicemen overseas. They live in such harsh conditions and put their lives on the line daily. I have the utmost respect for them.

    A lovely illustration. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!