Sunday, May 25, 2008

A "Typical" Day? ha!/Day 20 of 21

©Kathleen Rietz
I was tagged by both Alicia Padron and Andi Butler to post about my typical day. Well, I honestly do not have a typical day. It's sort of sad, now that I think about it. I would love to inject a little routine back into my life. There was a time when I made a really decent living frelancing, so I had freetime and worktime and balance in my life. Now I am pretty much all about work. I just finished up my second semester of teaching art at The Community School of the Arts at Wheaton College. Now I am teaching a 6 week course there called "The Art of the Sketchbook". That will take me through June, at which time I may take a 6 week intensive Adobe Illustrator class for myself at the local college here near my town. I really need to learn Illustrator. I work 2 afternoons per week at a chiropractic clinic, where I get free treatments, which is good because my back is so lousy and my insurance does not cover chiropractic. Plus, it gets me out of the house and I like helping others heal and manage their pain. The work I do has a direct and immediate impact on the lives of others, something I do not get to see much with my art. I also know that my smiling face may be the only smile a person gets all day, so I make sure I get to know each patient and give them a smile. Some evenings I get home and hit the gym, if I have the energy, which ends up being twice a week now (I often get home somewhere between 7 and 9). Usually have dinner around 10 or 11 at night. Then I stay up and check email and blogs and I get to work on my art projects, typically until around 4 or even 5am. On days I am not working outside the house, I am able to work all day, unless there are errands to run, and I do love the days I can work without interruption. I do make sure I take time to walk my dog, pretty much every day. Sometimes we go sit in a park. It is good for both of us. I often run into neighbors while I am out walking, so I chat with them a while. I also try to find time to do at least one new illustration for my website/portfolio each week, and update my website and other portfolio sites at least once a week. If I get to bed early (before 2:30am), I may watch a little Animal Planet or Food Network. I love to cook and I make nearly all of my meals from scratch. I get great ideas from Food Network. I also try to make sure I have time for the important people in my life every week, even if it is at odd hours. They seem to understand.

25 comments:

  1. wow you're quite the busy one! and a night owl too. it's hard to get that work-life balance if you work at home isn't it? it all seems to run together and you find yourself working at all hours. But you CAN work in your pyjamas so that's a big plus!
    well we're are lucky that you work so hard so we can benefit from your beautiful art :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate, *whew* is all I can say! You are a busy one you! :) What can I say, you're my inspiration ... both artistically, and in life. I don't think I've ever met such a hard working woman who seems to make a conscious effort to try to balance her life. But I'm very glad you do make time to share your work with us. You make us smile too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to take that class with you, Kate. I know I would learn so much from you!
    It has been great seeing your sketches, they are always beautifully done. I love the ballerinas and those adorable dogs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could stay up late like that and get work done, but sleep over takes me. I work a few hours a week and a health club for free membership, but I think you gig is better; oh how I love a good adjustment! You are so inspiring for me, thanks!!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies! You are encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This meme is fascinating. Everyone's lives are so different and I'm astounded how one has time to fit so much in a day and still produce artwork!
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. whew...I'm exhausted just reading about your day....do you ever sleep ???? you're amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kate!!! Your days are loooong or should I say nights? My gosh, at what time do you wake up though? I you go to bed that late... I hope you are getting some decent hours of sleep.

    I think what you do besides your amazing art, is wonderful. To help out people at the clinic and to teach, must be very rewarding too.

    Good for you my friend!! Thanks fro sharing this :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alicia,
    Oh, I typically get out of bed anywhere from 9:30 to 11:30 in the morning. Some days earlier, of course, but I do try to get enough sleep. Not always possible when I have a heavy workload and lots of commitments, but I try to make it all work. I have always been somewhat of a night owl. It is easier for me to just keep working into the night once I establish a "flow", than to try to work in the morning and get iinterrupted by having to get ready for work. There are so many distractions during the day. I know I could not maintain this lifestyle if I had kids. Who knows...maybe someday it will all change.

    Yes, teaching art and working at the clinic are both very rewarding. I feel like I am giving something more of myself, which is something I do not get to witness with my art. I always hope my art makes people happy, but with teachng and my work as a chiropractic assistant, I get to interact with people and see a direct impact I can make on their lives. I love it when a student "gets it", and they light up and I know they are growing their love for art, and I am a part of that process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate...what a neat post...I love hearing about your typical day...which is so not typical...and I can't believe how late you stay up! my goodness...and I thought getting to bed between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m was late...you sure have a busy and amazing day and I am sure the people that come to that clinic get so much help just seeing your smile...you have a warmth about you and a giving and kind spirit...

    I am thrilled to have met you and love hearing about your life...

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm stunned with your busy schedule, and can still produce wonderful illustration everyday, orz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that back pain! I also have a back pain a few years before, and it only heals if I do a lot of exercises.. :)Hope you feel better now..

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah same over here...trying to get that work-life balance in order...I dont have much of a schedule but I do work till very late into the night! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whew, I'm tired just reading that (or maybe it's because it is 11:25 at night!)

    Wonderful that you have so much personal satisfaction within your life! I'd love to give back myself, but haven't yet found my "calling"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I can take the class with you.
    I always want to take up lessons,,
    Your sketches is so beautifully done and enjoyable.
    Same time, I hope you get enough rest and glad to found you thru the illustration blog world..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally identify with this sketch...TOTALLY!
    plus it's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute sketch! You are a busy lady and quite a night owl. It's so fun to read about everyone's days - they are so different! Sometimes the beauty of freelancing is that there is no routine, at least not one that is forced upon you by a traditional 'boss'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like my hours. Only I work at the same agency day in and day out. Not all it's cracked up to be when working with all the egos. I'd much rather have a different day every day. Want to change places?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that's some schedule! I'm still trying to figure out when you sleep... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. I love to see how other artists get through the day....and night in your case! I agree, a distraction free day is the best. I used to be able to stay up all night and work, but lately my brain gets so tired I end up just spinning my wheels. Love the sketch. Can't tell you how many times I've nodded off at my drawing table :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love this, I can relate!
    Sandra Evertson
    P.S.
    Chicken Dance! Wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Busy-busy. Variety is the spice of life they say, in which case you've got a whole rack's worth of it going on.

    Aside from that, I really like your sketch here. Creative to the end, I noticed all her Z's were distinctive. Nicely done. Did you sketch that looking in a mirror? 8 )

    ReplyDelete
  23. You don't eat dinner til 10 or 11 at night???!!! I feel exhausted just reading your post. I will never complain about my workload again! I wish I could stay up later at night but I just get too tired. That said, I am usually always up by 6 in the mornings, earlier in summer, so I'm an early bird at heart. You are right about daytime having so many distractions...that is the main reason I don't get a lot of time in the studio.

    Your lovely illustration fits this post perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!