Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to the Little Black Ant book...

Yesterday I showed you a preview of the yoga book I am illustrating in my whimsical style (see the post directly under this one). Tonite I am up late because now I have to switch gears and work on all 14 of the interior pencil studies for "Little Black Ant at Park Street" in what I call my 'soft realistic' style. They are all double page spreads. This is to meet a deadlne a couple of weeks away. Such a challenge it is to work on 2 books at once, especially such different subject matter. I am not complaining, though. Everyone I am working with has been so supportive and encouraging. And I am so happy and honored to have these books assigned to me!

Anyhoo - I wanted to share with you the pencil study I did for the cover illustration a couple of months back....I know I am always interested to see how other illustrators work. So here it is. Doing this helps to establish the values and overall balance of the painting for me, and helps to communicate to the publisher what to expect in the final painting.


And here is a photo of the finished painting before I sent it off to the publisher, Soundprints. I actually had to photograph it in 2 sections and Photoshop them together because the painting was over 2 feet long. But I thought you would want to see it.


And, finally, here is the finished cover after Soundprints scanned it and plopped in all of the good stuff. Ta-da! Cool, huh? It is such an amazing process....hours and hours of plotting and planning and sweating and bleeding. And in the end, you have the finished product. And hopefully - what we illustrators all wish for - it will become a child's favorite book!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your work Kate! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are doing this book Kate! Your style is perfect for this. Every time I see the cover I like it even more :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks really nice. isnt it great to see it all come together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    Thanks for sharing your illustration process. It is interesting to me to know how things are done now. I was working as a graphic artist back in the olden days. A few things have changed and some are the same. I think your books will be a hit with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing your process. It's always so fun to see how others work. Your pencil stage is so amazing in and of itself! It could be used as a final if they were doing it in black and white. I love seeing all the strokes. Fantastic job! And I'm sure it will be many a children's favorite. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing how people work from start to finish. It looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is amazing work Kathleen!! I am in love with this style..so perfect!!

    Have a wonderful night and I can only imagine how busy you are....

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great job. I've been itching to do some painting as I've been rather black and white lately. Good luck with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Kate, it is so great to see it come together like this. Thanks for sharing your process with us! That spread is just gorgeous and I love staring at it. Someday, you will have to share your painting process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the postcard that you sent arrived today. thank you! It is so adorable. I love it!
    Carli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate!
    these are so wonderful! and congrats congrats congrats!!!
    xoxox
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally I am able to post here. Yesterday I saw your beautiful illustrations and wanted to let you know that they are fantastic!

    Your pencil renderings are top notch! And the transition from pencil to paint is a difficult one to master but you have succeeded at that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exquisite Kate! I just love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should be so proud, Kate, this is gorgeous!!

    a : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, I LOVE this!!! What an impressive painting it must be and it looks perfect on the book cover!

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!