Saturday, October 11, 2008

Look Again

I visited the nature sanctuary again today, probably for the final time this year. These critters camouflaged themselves so well....I would have completely missed the praying mantis if it had not scurried as I walked past it. We seemed to have startled each other.


praying mantis (the colors are amazing!) The praying mantis was about 5 or 6 inches (approx. 13-15 cm) long.



grasshopper (I see you!)

It was nice to break away for a little while....I took Leon with me after hitting the gym. I am working at home on the children's book illustrations and a small side project this weekend. I am hoping to find a little bit of time to draw in my Moleskine tomorrow. My growing interest in nature photography and my new Moleskine have been great outlets to help me to relax lately.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm, was this the same praying mantis? I swear it must be your artist's "eye" but you seem to find the most camouflaged critters around! I woulda loved to have gone adventuring with you two ... or should I say dozens (of mosquitoes, that is)? Or have they already disappeared? Love the pics Kate. The purples in the top two photos are unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, your photographs are amazing !! I enjoyed reading about your time with your friend Joan and I visited her sweet blog as well. How nice that you two had a chance to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. The color on that praying mantis is amazing! Its also amazing that you saw it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a praying manits with purple overtones. How neat! (and clever of you for being able to see it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks TLC...I think the warmth of the late afternoon sun and the coolness of the shadows made it look even more purple. It really was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, don't be shy! Share your thoughts!